Vacationing is a time to relax and to be carefree and it can be if you do a little prep work before you head out especially if your travel includes a cruise or foreign travel. Here is a checklist of a few items you might want to consider. For documents, I made copies and put the copies in a travel binder. I organized my binder with tabs like excursions, travel insurance, ID, ect….Also, leave a copy with a trusted friend back home. Hopefully this will help you too!
- Passport– Not only bring your passport but also make a copy of the first page. One tip I would suggest is not to keep these 2 items together. For instance, if you leave your ship for the day, keep your original passport in your safe and just take the copy in case anything happens. Having a copy with your photo on it will make it easier to get another one.
2. Visas-Sometimes you may need a Visa to travel to a foreign country. It’s probably a good idea to check with that country’s embassy to get more information.
3. Medications-Another item you might want to check on is your medications. Some over the counter medications, prescription drugs and narcotics may be illegal in the country you want to travel to. Again, it might be advisable to check with the embassy of the country you want to visit to check about regulations and documentation that you might need.
4. Consent to travel with minors– Will you be traveling alone with your children? At foreign borders you may have to show custody documents or notarized written consent from the other parent. If this is your situation, you may want to check with that countries embassy to see what might be required.
5. International Driving Permit-Did you know many countries do not recognize the U.S drivers licence? However, they will accept an International Driving Permit. You also might need supplemental auto insurance as well.
A very useful traveling website is Travel.State.Gov. This site covers everything from U.S passports, International Travel, Visas, current travel advisories and many other topics.
I feel like traveling in general is going to be kind-of different post COVID-19. It’s probably going to take a while for people to start traveling again, for airlines to start adding flights, etc…. For many people, they will probably postpone any travel until next year. We are still going to try to go to Puerto Vallarta in October but we’ll see. We’ll be staying at our beautiful Vidanta resort. It will be wonderful to see something beyond my front door!
If you want to start making travel plans, begin with a trip to Mexico at the Vidanta resorts. You won’t be sorry!